A new poll of 600 registered voters in Michigan shows increased support for ten key, and currently lacking, legal rights as they pertain to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people in Michigan. A proposed amendment to the state's civil rights law, which would prohibit employment discrimination against LGBT people, has support from 75.5% of Michigan voters, including 56% of strong Republican voters. Support for civil marriage equality increased 12.5% from last year to 56.8%, including 54% for a constitutional amendment reversing Michigan's 2004 ban and legalizing same-gender relationship recognition.
Home › Media Center
- Statewide LGBT advocacy organization appoints new field organizer - April 15, 2013
- NCAVP Endorses National Sexual Assault Awareness Month; Calls for End to LGBTQH Sexual Assault - April 8, 2013
- Equality Michigan Appoints Managing Director - March 29, 2013
In the Media
WDET's Craig Fahle speaks with Michigan Public Radio Network Capital Bureau Chief Rick Pluta about the start of the lame duck session in Lansing. Craig speaks with Emily Dievendorf, Director of Policy for Equality Michigan, about State House Bills HB5763 and HB5764. Both would significantly alter the rules for adoption agencies and according to Dievendorf, could potentially discriminate against certain families.
- Equality Michigan's Roland Leggett Profiled in Between the Lines - Between the Lines - November 1, 2012
- Homophobic Attack Highlights Lack Of Protections In Michigan - Towleroad - October 4, 2012
- Car Accident Escalates Into Hate Crime Against Detroit Lesbian Couple - Queerty - October 4, 2012
The results are in! Your support and work has emboldened more people to come out in support of equality, and now we have the record numbers to prove it! A new poll shows increased and majority support from Michigan Republicans, Democrats and Independents for core LGBT rights issues. There are two easy steps you can take RIGHT NOW to build on this momentum and bring us closer to the finish line!
- Support for LGBT Workplace and Marriage Equality On The Rise in Michigan - May 14, 2013
- Give OUT Day 2013 - May 9, 2013
- Michigan Supreme Court Upholds DP Benefits for State Employees - May 2, 2013